Monday, July 6, 2009

Going Home

On Friday, July 3rd we left to come back to Amsterdam. We took the 11:15 KLM direct flight...12 hours of pure joy! LOL!! The airport is about 1 1/2 hours from where we are staying so we left to catch the bus at 7:15. Arrived at the airport, checked in and waited to board the plane. We were allowed on first just because we had the kids and Shane's carseat. We went to our seats to find out that they wouldn't let us use the carseat because it wasn't approved. I told them that the KLM website specifically said the model of our carseat was approved. I told the attendent that I wasn't trying to cause a problem, but I wouldn't have brought it if we wouldn't be allowed to use it. I agree with them that incase of impact the carseat would tip forward because it isn't attached at the top. We told them that we were allowed to use it on the way to Tokyo during the flight, but had to hold Shane during take off and landing. So, finally they agreed to that. I understand that they are looking out for our safety, so I wasn't upset just worried that we would have to try to contain Shane in our laps the entire flight...which we pretty much ended up doing anyway!





Luckily there were many open seats, so we had a total of 6 seats for us and the crew was very helpful in asking a couple to move to another row so we could all be together.





Once we were up in the air we realized that this was the first flight we had taken with the kids that wasn't overnight. It was smack dab in the middle of the day and Shane wanted NOTHING to do with sitting still. Kaylin did really well and watched her movies and ate her snacks with a few minor rough patches. Shane was a different story. He probobly slept for a total of 3 hours and for over half of the flight either Matt or I was carrying him through out the plane and part of that time he was squirming around trying to get down. Lets just say there were a few tense moments between Matt and I. I couldn't get off that plane fast enough. The entire flight I was thinking there is NO WAY I can fly back to the states by myself with both kids. It just isn't physically possible. So, we talked with Matt's work and they were able to get Kaylin on the flight with Bud and Jane and I will take Shane by myself and we will have a credit to use within 1 year for Kaylin's cancelled flight on KLM.





Right before landing we stuffed Shane full of fruit snacks because that was the only way he would sit still so they could land!


It was great to see Bill at the airport and to see Lauren when we came back to the house. It feels SO good to be here. We arrived about 4 and just relaxed and talked the rest of the night. Lauren made us chicken and pasta for dinner and both Bill and Lauren have been so helpful with the kids. Both Bill and Lauren were both up the first night when Kaylin woke up so Matt brought her downstairs and they watched Strawberry Shortcake a bunch of times with her and Kaylin fell asleep cuddling with Aunt Lauren and last night Bill took Kaylin up to be and read her stories and she fell asleep. The also have been pushing the strollers and helping out above and beyond! Thank you!!


Here is Kaylin painting with the paints and cutouts that Bill and Lauren brought her.
















On Saturday we met up with some people from Matt's work and my friend Lucy and her family at Vondel Park to celebrate the 4th. It was a beautiful day and it was so nice to see see everyone.



Kaylin decked out in her 4th of July outfit, hat that Bill and Lauren brought, sparkly pink sweater and her 2 different shoes.






















Here is Shane with his hat

































Between Sunday and Thursday, when Bud and Jane arrived we went to the Albert Cuyp Market and walked around in the center, Bill and Lauren took a few side trips, the kids and I went to a playgroup.




The morning Bud and Jane arrived Kaylin colored a picture and I took her with me to pick them up. I wanted to bring Shane too, but he was napping so I held myself back from waking him up. We arrived at the airport probably 1 minute from Kaylin getting carsick. I was so worried on the way because I didn't bring any extra clothes, diapers or wipes with me, so I don't know what I would have done if she got sick.


Kaylin brought the picture she colored with us and we were able to look through the window into the baggage claim and saw them waiting for their bags. It was fun waiting for them!


We came back to the house and like it was with my parents it felt like Christmas! Lots of new clothes, some toys and Cheerios!! Yeah!
















Lauren painting Kaylin's nails and teaching her out to blow on them. Kaylin LOVED it! :)























We all have been having so much fun and it is so nice to have family around.




















On Friday, Bill and Lauren took Matt and I out for dinner while Bud and Jane stayed with the kids. It was so nice to have dinner and drinks with them.

The next day we took a day trip to Antwerp, Belgium. That will be the next post!

3 comments:

Kate

I am so glad you all had a wonderful time. It makes me sad we are too poor to travel and couldn't be with everyone. Hope to hear from you soon about your stateside plans. Can't wait to hug those kids.

Debbie

Looks like everyone is having alot of fun and with Christmas in July how can you go wrong, ha,ha. I can't wait to hear more about your trip to Scotland, what a neat adventure. The pictures of Lauren & Kaylin painting their finger & toes nails are so cute!
See you in a few days!!
Love, Hugs & many, many Kisses,
Mom & Mana

carydzik

I LOVE Kaylins mix and match shoes! She is absolutely adorable!