Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Ooedo-Onsen-Monogatari


This past weekend we went to the zoo and to Ooedo-Onsen-Monogatari which is a hot springs park.
Saturday was HOT! We packed up and went to the zoo which is in Ueno Park. It is a great zoo, unfortunately I don't have any pictures because I forgot to bring the memory card. I figured that out when I tried to take a picture of Kayin petting an owl. It was only 600 yen (about $6) each for Matt and I and the kids were free. Great price for such a large zoo! We walked in and decided to have lunch right away, so we sat down and unpacked our lunch and a few minutes later we were surrounded by about 15 women/girls. Apparently a tour group was meeting up right where we were eating and they kept talking to the kids and they gave Kaylin a piece of paper with a couple stamps of animals on it. It was so nice, but I felt so uncomfortable eating lunch while all of these people were watching us!
The zoo is really like any other and has pretty much the same animals. Kaylin made a request to see the monkeys, elephants and giraffes so we spent some time by each.



This was Shane's first time actually noticing the animals and it was so fun watching him. He would point and say "this" which comes out sounding more like "dis". It is SO cute. Oh I should mention that he is saying mama, da da, this (dis), that (dat), and I swear he has said rock and tree. He also signs "all done" and " more" although his sign for more is not correct, but we know what he means. So we are working on it!
On Sunday we went to Ooedo Onsen Monogatari, http://www.ooedoonsen.jp/higaeri/english/

I really had no idea what to expect and was a little nervous when we first arrived. We walked in and had to take our shoes off immediately. We put all of our things in a locker and went to pay the entrance fee. After that we walked to a counter where we were able to pick out a Yukata which is basically a robe. Kaylin also was able to pick one out but with shorts and they didn't have one small enough for Shane. We then went into a locker room to change. I took Shane and Matt took Kaylin. So, I walked in and found a locker and read the instructions on how to properly put the Yukata on. The instructions said that outside clothes were not permitted in the spa so I just kept Shane in a diaper. After about an hour we were told that we needed to put clothes on Shane. I guess the restriction was for adults only!



We stuck with the outside foot spa because the other spas required you to be naked and we just were not ready for that! In the center of the building there were places to eat, games for kids to play and a small stage. It was so much fun and such a great experience!

Kaylin playing a game













Family pic-Kaylin is checking out the ball she won





























Friday we are going back to Amsterdam and I am SO excited and more than ready to go back. What makes it even better is Bill and Lauren will be there and Bud and Jane will be arriving on the 9th!

We will be in Amsterdam a total of 2 weeks and Scotland for 1 week. The kids and I will be flying back to the States on July 25 for 4 weeks and then we will be going back to Tokyo until October. Matt will be flying from Amsterdam to Tokyo and then will be flying to the States on Aug 8. I will be flying with the kids by myself so cross your fingers that all goes smoothly! Luckily our flight leaves an hour after Bud and Jane's so at least we'll be at the airport together. We tried to get on the same flight as them, but to make a long story short it would be more expensive. So, looking forward to seeing all of you in July and August!

1 comments:

Kate

love the pictures. That robe on Kaylin is just too cute for words. Glad you have your plans set in place. Does Matt fly into chicago?