12 years ago
Thursday, June 4, 2009
Jizo Statues
I was walking around one day and came across these statues. Right away I thought they were graves of children because of the pinwheels, bibs and hats. There were probably 100 of them lined up in rows at the entrance of what looked like a Shrine. I didn't go to far in because I didn't really know what it was. I have done a little research and found that these statues are called Jizo Statues. Jizo is a beloved figure in Japan, Korea and China. He is the protector of children, travelers expectant mothers, firemen and Pilgrims along with some other roles that I am still trying to understand, some only found in Japan. It is believed that children who die early are sent to Hell because they have brought so much sadness to their parents. They are sent to a dried up river where they build monuments made of small pebbles in order to attract Buddha's attention and be freed from Hell. Anyway, the red bibs and hats are made by mothers as an offering in hopes Jizo will take special care of their children. Sometimes small stones are placed around the statues to help ease the load of their children. Sometimes the red clothes are given in thanks for illnesses believe to have been healed with the help of Jizo. 
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
How sad it is about all these childrens statues....
In response to your "Tokyo" post...I bet you are so happy that you have your new camera...It takes such clear pictures, I love all the kids pictures in the new slideshow, they look like they are having so much fun! Shane and his sticks...he is so funny...Kaylin in her pretty dress and that one where whe's going down the slide and Shane is at the bottom, you just know what's going to happen, ha,ha. It looks very pretty over there and I'm so glad you have this opportunity. Hope your idea about coming back early pans out for you (& us back here in the states)!
Love always and for sure...lots & lots of hugs & kisses.
Mom & Mana
Post a Comment