Thursday, June 18, 2009

Rough Patch

The last few days have been rough. I feel SO guilty even saying that because I know what an opportunity it is to be here and how lucky we are that Matt has a job given all the job losses around the world. I know we are very very lucky. I get it. I do.

I am at a point right now where "vacation" is over and I am ready to go back to Amsterdam. I think the kids are too. Kaylin has been telling us that she wants to go home to play with her toys. The weekends are great because we are tourists and can check out all the sites, but during the week I am struggling to find things to do. The park isn't doing it for me anymore! The kids love it, but I am bored to death! My patience is wearing thin which isn't good when you are trying to entertain two small kids all day. I could take the time to figure out the subway, but I don't know where to go and actually understand what I am seeing. I know I am realizing that Matt's work deadline will not be met and we will be coming back here in August for a couple of months and I am not mentally prepared to have to set up a life here. I know I have to "jump" out there and try to get more involved in things. Not 100% sure what those "things" are, but I know they are out there.
I realize that I am going through the stages of culture shock and things will be fine, but I was much much much more prepared moving to Amsterdam. I have a few people here to find support, but I miss the support system I have come to rely on in AMS.

I have two options. The first is to go back to Amsterdam after our trip to the states. If I do that we will only see Matt for 1 week out each month. Not cool.

Or come back here and be with Matt, but not have all of the comforts of home...mostly toys and kids to play with and places I feel comfortable going.

I think we'll be back here. I think I need to pull it together and quick.

We are planning on going to the zoo today, if the weather cooperates. It looks like it will probably be tomorrow and I know I will feel much better after that.

6 comments:

jules

:( aww...Sar :( Sorry to hear you're having a hard time...new places are *never* easy, but you've done such a great job so far (with all the moving and changes and such)! Is there a Mom's group to connect with somewhere over there? You're so good at finding your way through rough times! :) Really, you are! Maybe you could go find the TV studio where they film, "I Survived a Japanese Game Show." Haha! That oughta keep you entertained! :) Stick with it...you'll find your niche...(I'll try looking up stuff online for you too...)

jules

You might have already done this, but here are some things I found:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/4770020406
http://www.tokyoessentials.com/kids.html
http://www.travelforkids.com/Funtodo/Japan/tokyo.htm

1) Check them out
2) Give you self a HUGE pat on the back
3) Get out and enjoy Japan - you world traveller!
4) Skype me and vent :)
Love you!!!!!

Sarah

Thanks Jules! You are the best! :) I did see some of that stuff...I need to muster up the motivation to figure it all out! I'll get there though!! :)
Love you!!

jules

Yep! It just takes time...and we all know you - of all people - can do it! :)

Debbie

Hi Sarah,
It's hard enough trying to get through the culture change and then you have 2 little ones that don't understand it all that you have to keep entertained and happy. I am SO PROUD OF YOU !! Hang in there...Just a couple weeks to go before you go back to Amsterdam (home away from home). And then a few weeks after that you come back to visit us!!YEAH! That can't come fast enough!!!
On another note...Tell Kaylin I promise I will be a good farmer on Facebook farm and not let my crops die, ha,ha...
Love you all always with lots & lots of hugs & kisses,
Mom & Mana

Jane

I feel so bad that you are so lonely. We all go through periods of adjustments rough times, you just happen to thousands of miles away. You are doing such a great job of being so positive, don't be so hard on yourself. How about you come to the states for a longer period of time. There are plenty of people who would love to keep you company. Maybe Matt could come in September, then your time in where ever would not be so long. I know this would be hard for Matt, but we would love it. Keep up the wonderful job you are doing with our grandchildren. We love you all. Anything we can do to help.
Hugs to all,
Mana Jane