I've been wanting to create a post of all of the things we have found different from what we are used to in the States before we really start to forget and think of our new surroundings as "normal."
Kitchen-No garbage disposals - something to do with the sewer system,
Smaller fridge, freezer and dishwasher. Not a big deal though because we go to the grocery store more than we did in the States
Separate toilet and shower
Only cold water in the toilet room
Smaller washer and drier which I am having a huge problem getting used to. I hate doing laundry and having to do it everyday irritates me!
No shower curtain, but a glass panel that folds back when you want to have a bath
No smoke detectors in the homes
No screens on windows or doors
Mice are common- not a welcome addition to the move!
Separate bike lanes, I have seen very few helmets
Streets are not paved, all brick
garbage day is two days a week, ours is Wednesday and Saturday. We take our garbage to the designated spot on the street
There is a doctor per neighborhood and he practices out of his house.
The majority of babies are born in their homes, pain meds are very uncommon. ( Actually I have found that the US is one of a few countries that regularly gives pain medication during labor.)
They also don't give tylanol and motrin as often if at all.
Cribs, highchairs etc are much smaller
They have some awesome strollers, but are VERY expensive. I am interested to see how long our stroller lasts here because of the uneven roads and how much banging it takes getting on and off the tram and dragging it up and down stairs
I can't find celery and sweet potatoes and squash are more expensive
I saw one pick up truck and it looked SO out of place!
Flowers are very inexpensive. I can get a dozen or so tulips for 4 euros which is about $5.50
The dutch speak their mind...no guessing what they are thinking which can be refreshing.
Babies laydown in the buggies for what seems like forever. I was yelled at by a Dutch lady for sitting Shane up in the stroller right when we came here. He was able to support his head and sit by himself. She explained that they are told to lay the kids flat. Shane would have been SO upset if he had to laydown.
Stores don't open before 9 except for the grocery store and people don't get moving until about that time at the earliest!
I haven't seen a school bus yet.
I can't remember all of the details, but kids are seperated early on as to who is going to a trade school and who is going to university
Everyone is fluent in AT LEAST 2 languages...makes me feel very selfconcious that I only know English
No mixed drinks, no ice and beer is a much higher alcohol percentage
Bread is made daily and when it is gone they don't make more, some stores don't refrigerate they eggs, and some milk is not refrigerated either because it is pasturized at a higher temperature
I am sure there is more, but that is all I can think of right now.
12 years ago

3 comments:
Hi Guy's,
a lot of that seems strange to us and I imagine it takes time getting used to it. I wonder what people think when they come to the United States?? It sounds like your doing very well (yeah!!) Your Mom and Sean sure had a good time and can't wait to go back!!
Talk to you later
Denise
This is a neat post. I am a little nervous about the mice now! JK...I grew up next to a corn field. Anyway, I am glad that some of the differences are starting to seem kind of normal to you. I suppose by the time you come back to the US that some things here will seem strange!
An easy way to fix the mouse problem.... get a kitty cat! you'll probably have to teach it to hunt, but that should be easy, because cats have pretty good instincts! I'd lend you Shirley, but she doesn't really like to travel.....
Post a Comment