I had been wondering why people were always stopping and looking into the windows of a building across the canal from us but I just hadn't gotten around to checking it out. Luckily Matt stopped by the other day and informed me that the location, Keizersgracht 529, is where John Adams lived from 1780-1782. I found the below excerpt from www.john-adams.nl.
"Keizersgracht 529
Before being elected the second President of the United States, Adams resided in the Netherlands from 1780-1782 as an envoy and advocate for the American colonies, which were then waging a brutal war for independence against the British. Living in the heart of the city of Amsterdam, at Keizersgracht 529, he actively sought contact with the social-economic elite, befriending bankers, politicians, and other influential persons who could help contribute to support the fledgling republic. The long history of friendship between America and the Netherlands was cemented by Adams and the Netherlands became the second country in the world, after France, to recognize America's independence. "
It is not a place to tour, but I still find it very interesting!
12 years ago

3 comments:
I can't wait to see where John adam lived. How neat to know that you are living across the street from so much of our US history!! It will definatly be a picture I'm going to take!
Love you all,
Mom & Grandma (Mana)
OOOPs....John Adams I meant...my fingers are typing independantly this morning,ha,ha.
How wonderful to have that little bit of our history on your doorstep. I read McCollough's biography of John Adams a few years ago, and if I remember right, Adams was very impressed with the Dutch. He admired the frugal and common sense qualities of the people who so much reminded him of his own New England heritage. Unfortunately, he could never get those wonderful people to pony up any actual money. It wasn't for lack of trying. As you know he spent two years in Amsterdam and retained much affection for the country.
Post a Comment