Tuesday, November 25, 2008

We are back!

After going back and forth with the Internet provider we are up and running! Thankfully! It has been rough without having Internet or a phone for almost 2 weeks.

Overall the move went well. We received a few things that were supposed to go to storage and we have noticed one very important item that did not make it here...where it is I don't know I am guessing storage...Kaylin's brand new winter jacket...a birthday gift from papa Bud and Grandma Jane. We are so disappointed and can't understand why it wasn't packed. So, we had to go and get a new jacket, which surprisingly was hard to find.

Anyway, the movers arrived around 8:30 on Friday, but couldn't start until two cars were moved. One they got unlocked and tried to find info on the owner to call and the other they had to have towed. I did not see any signs posted that people could not park there so I feel a bit bad for the person who was towed. We have been told that a sign is usually put up earlier in the week letting people know not to park in x spot on x day, but it is not left up so the random person is out of luck.
They brought with them an elevator of sorts to bring in the stuff that belonged upstairs. The video below is our dresser being brought up.













They came back last Thursday to pick up the empty boxes.

The trim on the house is currently being painted. The downside to that is the only way to get to the back of the house is to come through ours. So, today they brought scaffolding through and will be in and out for the next few days.

We made our first trip in the car last Wednesday. Ikea! We or I should say I was very excited to go and spent a few hours there. It is HUGE and I have heard it referred to "like Disney Land." I have to agree...anything and everything is there. We bought a few lamps, rugs etc. and Matt will be going back tomorrow to get a coffee table and some hooks to hang our pics on. All through out the 1st floor is a picture rail that is common in the old homes so we won't nail anything into the walls.

The drive was okay. Our GPS doesn't realize that some roads are dead ends and some are bike paths, so following it can be a bit tricky.

Also on Wednesday we stopped at the bank to get me a check card and we went to the expat center to register in the city. Matt has to go somewhere else with our marriage cert tomorrow and will also pick up our parking permit.

Here is the video of the house the day before all of our stuff was moved in.

6 comments:

carydzik

What a beautiful house!! Glad to hear you'll finally be able to settle in! Hope the kids adjust quickly! happy Thanksgiving!! Love, Claire

Jane

Well, I have missed seeing you and visiting with the kids. It was such a great treat to find you on skype this morning. Your house looks beautiful can't wait to visit.Sorry Kaylin's coat did not make it, but am glad you got her something warm. Enjoy the house and keep up the great blog.
Mom/Mana

Debbie

It was such a nice surprise when we logged in this morning and saw that you were on line. Dad went bezerk! He was yelling to me to come down stairs quick!!! Your new house looks wonderful, I can't wait to see it! It's amazing how they can move big pieces of furniture nowdays, unbelievable. It really looked like that dresser was going to be shot right through the window,ha,ha. Kaylin looked so happy this morning playing with her own toys! Little Shane is getting so big! I really miss Kaylin & Shanes kisses & Hugs. How is his tooth coming through? Looking forward to talking/seeing you all again.
Love, Hugs & Lots of Kisses...
Mom & Grandma (Mana)

jules

Lookin' good! Glad you're moved in and able to be "connected to the world" again! 2 weeks w/o internet would STINK! Can't wait to hear more about your adventures! Wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving!

Kate

The house looks great. COngrats on moving in.

Dawn

Looks like you have a really nice house. I bet your glad to have all your own stuff again. I love that lift thing, how great would that be for moving, your mom was right it looked like it was going really fast. Have a Happy Thanksgiving:)