Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Brugge, Belgium

Mom, Dad, Sean, the kids and I explored the beautiful city of Brugge, Belgium on May 11-13. We started packing our things the night before we left so we could be on the road by 9:00. Kaylin packed her Tinkerbell back pack with various items that she needed...playfood (fries), ONE block for Shane, a few books and toy people and she insisted that we put her bag in the car the night before. She was so cute carrying her bag and making sure it was in the car by her seat.
Monday morning was kind of hectic making sure we had everything, but were only behind schedule by a half hour! Pretty impressive!







The drive was fine, dad didn't seem to have any problems in the passenger seat or at least he was good at hiding it. Mom sat between the kids and Sean was in the back surrounded by luggage. I now am 100% certain that Kaylin gets car sick. She had gotten sick a couple of times before, but we drive so infrequently that we always chalked it up to something else, but about 5 minutes from arriving she threw up all over. Luckily we were almost to the hotel!
I highly recommend the hotel Jan Brito (www.janbrito.eu). The service was great and the room was even better. I reserved a family room which had a double bed and sitting room downstairs and a loft upstairs with 2 single beds and 2 baby beds. Perfect.






The first day we went for lunch and then went to the Church of Our Lady to see the "Madonna and Child Statue," sculpted by Michelangelo. It is the only statue of his to leave Italy.









We then just walked around and took in the sites. I do have to say that finding places to eat was a challenge. Not because they didn't have a lot of places, it just wasn't that kid friendly. Most restaurants close between 4:30 and 7 which doesn't work that well for our family! We finally found an Italian place which I was so happy about because Kaylin has been on a kick where all she wants to eat is noodles. We went in and the place was pretty empty and they guy looked at the kids and said "No, we don't have anything available." Now I tried to think that maybe they did have the tables reserved, but we all agreed that he just didn't want kids. I was so frustrated at that point. We found another restaurant and ate, but I took the kids out as soon as they were done. I just don't do well with a 2 year old and almost 1 year old in restaurants. I get to stressed out! So I left and took them to the park to burn off some energy. Needless to say that was our last restaurant experience. From then on we just picked up sandwiches etc. It makes more sense anyway and is so much cheaper. Win win in my book.
While I was at the park I met a lady probably in her 60's named Monique. She said Hi to the kids and watched them play for a bit and then continued walking. We met up again on our way out and started talking. Long story short she invited me up to tea and I really would have gone if my parents would have known I went to the park with the kids, but they thought I went straight back to the hotel after dinner so I didn't want them to worry. She lived in a place overlooking the park and told me her husband had died. She just seemed so lonely and really wanted someone to talk to and really enjoyed talking with the kids. We ran into her the morning we were leaving too. I don't know what it was, but some people you just connect with right away and I really wish I would have had a chance to sit a talk with her.
That night Shane slept really well and Kaylin woke up because of her cough, (she is just now finally getting over it.) Well, in my attempt to get to her before everyone woke up I jumped out of bed and forgot that there was a small step in the middle of the room. I literaly flew off the step and slammed down on the floor next to Sean's bed. Did he wake up? NO! He didn't even move. Mom at least asked if I was okay. :) I have never hit my head so hard in my life. Seriously. I saw a white flash when I landed too. I ended up with a bruise on my shoulder, slight rug burn on my cheek and a cut on my ankle! Too funny!


On Tuesday we went to the Chocolate Museum which was okay. The best part was watching them make the chocolate at the very end. Kaylin loved watching them and couldn't get enough! The chocolate there is AMAZING!! If you ever go there I highly recommend going to the Dumon Chocolate store. It is SOOO good.








We toured the Groeninge Museum. This is one of my favorite musuems and the main exhibit was Charles the Bold (1433-1477.) Loved it! I also LOVED that both kids slept the whole time so we could really take our time and enjoy it! :)
Next mom, Sean, Shane and I toured the Gruuthuse, a mansion that belonged to one of the richest families of the medieval city. It was so beautiful, but I was a little disappointed because I was hoping that it would have been set up like it would have been at that time. Instead it had small exhibits in each of the rooms.
Wednesday we packed up and then went to pick up some chocolate to bring home and walk through the market they have in the square on Wednesdays. We had lunch and let the kids run around in the park and off we went. Kaylin got sick with in about 45 minutes of leaving, so I pulled over so we could clean her up and change her clothes. Well, the Belgium police didn't really like that and I was scolded because I should have pulled off at the next exit. I know that, but we were in panic mode because both dad and Sean were gagging and Mom was telling me to pull over because "it is everywhere!" Oh well! :) It was a great trip!

2 comments:

carydzik

Sounds like you're having a good time! (Outside of the car! Poor Kaylin!)

Laura

That car seat has seen a lot of action! If we go on a roadtrip together, we'll have to put Kaylin and Cade in the same car with someone who has a strong stomach! Sounds like a great trip anyway. Great pics! :)