Today is Commemoration Day. It is the day all WWII victims are honored. On May 4, 1940, the Netherlands was attacked. Earlier today the kids and I were out for a walk and I noticed some people around a statue placing flowers. One woman was visibly upset. Immediately I thought it was for the 5 people who were killed on Queens Day.
About an hour ago I noticed the street in front of our house was like a parking lot and quite a few people were walking around. I was so confused so I went on line to see if I could figure anything out.
Every year on May 4 from 8:00-8:02 there is a ceremony at Dam Square (the center of the city) and two minutes of silence is observed. The street lights go on for 2 minutes and all public transportation and traffic stops and I believe there is a silent walk from 6:15 from a street near us to the square. Thousands of people watch the ceremonies.
I turned the tv on to see if I could see the ceremony and even though I can't understand it I am so moved.
I guess it just hit me what all of these families must have gone through...I know that we Americans had many people who fought and died during WWII and I am not saying that it doesn't mean as much and wasn't extremely difficult. What I am saying is we didn't have soldiers marching right outside our doors and bombs falling on our homes and I can't imagine how horrifying it must have been. I just get the feeling that it is still so fresh and not buried away in History books. Right now they are showing videos of soldiers and tanks going down the streets here.
Tomorrow is Liberation Day, five years later the Germans officially surrendered. I know I was taught all of this in school, but it is so different being here seeing the ceremony and seeing all of the people outside...it just puts it a bit more in prospective.
I read that there are quite a few parties and a concert tomorrow.
12 years ago

2 comments:
That is amazing being able to witness all of that going on. I wish we left early so Mom, Dad and I could see all of that going on. I couldn't imagine seeing that-its got to be so intense.
You are lucky to be part of a different perspective, to be thankful for all that we don't have to live through that others in different lifetimes and now do. I think I know the best time to visit Amsterdam, if we are able to afford the trip count on us April 25- May 10, we can celebrate Matt, the queens and witness this day to be remembered.
K
Post a Comment