Sunday, October 19, 2008

Last few days





On Wednesday Matt went into work to get his phone, to print some paperwork and to time how long it would take him to get there. The tram takes about 20 minutes and then he has walk another 15-20 to get to the office. He said it is a really nice office. PwC has the whole building rather than 2 floors that he was used to in Milwaukee.

That night we went over to Matt's collegue Aaron and his wife Sara's apartment for dinner. They have an 11 month old son and have been here for about a year. Sara is also apart of AWCA and will be hosting the Mom and Tots group on Monday. We had a great time and are looking forward to spending time with them on Monday.

On Thursday I went to Amstelveen to have lunch with some of the women in the American Women's Club of Amsterdam, AWCA. It was really nice and I met about 10 of the women all with various experiences to share. Some have only been here a short time and others starting to get ready to leave. After lunch we went to the grocery store and they showed me some of the things they found useful...what butter is best, differences in cheese, good crackers, coffee and laundry detergent etc. It was very helpful! I took the tram and got off a little early so I wandered around a bit and then asked for directions!

Friday we walked around and went to one of the main shopping streets in Amsterdam. Lots of fun! I really was looking for Hema which is the closest thing to Target. Much smaller, but has some kids stuff and other general items.

Saturday we went to the largest market in the Netherlands, some say the largest in Europe. There are over 350 venders. Fresh vegetables, fruit, fish, cheese, clothes, linnens you name it and it is probobly there. It was a lot of fun, but VERY busy. It averages 20,000 visitors a day and could double on the weekends. I believe it. We'll try again during the week. After that we planned on going to the Heineken Tour, but it was under construction and will open again in early November, so we'll try again then.

Today, we went on a search for a craft store because I can't find the crochet needle that I need. Unfortunantly the store was not open, so I hope to go back tomorrow or Tuesday.
We also go to the grocery store about every other day.

Tomorrow is our first playgroup and Matt's first day of work. It kind of feels like the vacation is over and now we are going to settle into everyday life.


Shane found his feet the other day so he has been hanging onto them quite a bit!

2 comments:

jules

Good to hear you finally got to meet with some other women! That'll be awesome support for you while Matt is at work. Which should be quite an experience for you this week! I hope all goes well...alone...with the kids! Love the new look! It's very "fall!" :-)

Sam

The kids are so cute!

I didn't know you crochet- that is really cool. I just learned, and am making a scarf- it's taking forever though!