Saturday, October 11, 2008

Park Days







We have been spending most of our time walking around the city and hanging out at the park.

We have had great weather so far, sunny and mid 50's.

On Thursday Matt had to figure out how to get to Den Haag to register with immigration. He had to navigate the tram to a stop where he was going to get onto the train for a 45 minute ride to Den Haag. Sounds simple, but it takes some figuring out! He had no problems which was a relief to us both. On Thursday Matt was able to meet quite a few of his colleagues. They were having a going away party for one of the couples and they invited him to come along and tonight he is a one of their houses watching a college football game ( They either have a sling box or satellite.) I am glad he is able to get together with them before he starts working. I admit I am a little jealous that he gets to spend time with some new friends, but my time is to come! On November 6th I am going to a meeting for the American Women's Club of Amsterdam and am really looking forward to joining and especially getting involved in the playgroups. We miss our MOMs Club friends from home! This Wednesday we are going to have dinner with one of the guys Matt will be working with. He and his wife have an 11 month old son, so hopefully we will make a friend there!


Today in the canal right outside our window there was a race going on. Kaylin LOVED watching the boats going by. It was really very neat.


I really can't wait for all of our stuff to arrive and to get into our place. I am really getting frustrated with living out of our suitcases. I think it is really going to be tough for me when Matt goes back to work because I am not sure how I am going to take Kaylin and Shane out. It probably sounds crazy, but for example to get out of our building we have to go up some steps- I have to get the stroller up the steps while carrying Shane and then try to convince Kaylin to get into the stroller (!!!) and also bringing what ever else we need or on the way back taking the stroller and the kids down the steps with our groceries and then convincing Kaylin to come with me into the building and telling her no she can't stay outside...or once we get in having Kaylin walk up two flights of stairs while carrying Shane and the groceries...just rambling...the area we are going to live in is much more kid friendly than this part. There is just SO much going on...cars, bikes and more bikes, trams and buses and lots of people, not a good combination with a busy 2 year (almost) old.


OK enough rambling for today!


4 comments:

Kate

Glad to hear from you again. Glad you are getting out and about enjoying your new surroundings. Asher was excited to see kaylin at the park.

Dawn

Your not rambling, it sounds exciting.I know for you it's alot of work. You'll find a routine that will work, just give it some time.

Anonymous

I love this blog thing! I keep checking every day, and especially when I'm procrastinating doing homework! The park is gorgeous, and the new apartment looks awesome! I really hope I'll be able to come visit! I'm soooooooo jealous! (Exclamation point!!!!) (sorry, I get excited when I think of Europe.) Love, Claire

Sam

Hey Sarah!
I am so excited I finally found your site! It is far too late for me to be awake, but now I'm hooked on reading all of your adventures!
I can totally understand the "SO much going on" part of this post- just crossing the street in Amsterdam is hard! I know Adam and I almost got run over quite a few times. There is a place behind Dam Square where you have to cross the bike lane, then the traffic, then the two tram lines, then the traffic, then another bike lane. It was pretty intense and I can't imagine doing it with two little kids! God speed!